Read our frequently asked questions and answers below regarding Divorce and Family Law.

Do you offer a free consult?

Yes, our office offers a free phone consult on family law matters.

What counties do you handle family law matters in?

An attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Minnesota can handle cases in any county in Minnesota.

Can you represent both of us in a divorce?

Our attorneys can only represent one party in a family law matter. However, a qualified neutral can provide Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) services such as mediation, early neutral evaluation, parenting consultation, or parenting time expediting services in which neither party is represented by the neutral.

Do you handle grandparent rights?

Yes, in some situations we are able to assist grandparents. Most commonly, we represent grandparents when they wish to get custody of a grandchild who has been left in their care without parent involvement. Learn more about third-party custody.

How long will it take me to get divorced?

Several factors determine how long the divorce process might take. These factors may include children, finances, and assets, any disagreements between parties, the amount of time needed to gather information, and how well the parties can work together to resolve their case.Most divorces are finalized within three months to a year; however, this can vary dramatically.

Does it make any difference who starts the divorce?

The court does not treat the person who initiates a divorce any differently than the person who responds to it. However, if the two parties live in different counties, the person who commences the divorce action may be able to choose the county in which the divorce is filed.

Do I have to share my retirement account with my spouse in our divorce?

Minnesota law provides for an equitable division of assets and liabilities in a divorce. We evaluate what the parties both own and owe, and a subsequent division of the assets and debts may include dividing retirement accounts.

Can my spouse tell me I have to leave our house?

Until the parties agree, or the court otherwise decides, both parties have an equal right to stay in the home.

Call us today for a free consultation: 763.406.7000

  • "I have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with divorce and custody for over a decade and have had to h…

    View testimonials
  • "I was referred to Kelly Boyd at this law firm and I couldn’t be happier! My situation required immediate and…

    View testimonials
  • "Kelly Boyd was invaluable in helping my family through a very complicated and very highly conflicted time. In…

    View testimonials
  • "Kelly Boyd was my lawyer in a divorce situation on two separate motions. She is knowledgeable, timely, thorou…

    View testimonials
  • "After having two different attorneys during my divorce proceedings I finally found Kelly Boyd a family law at…

    View testimonials
  • "I was referred to Kelly Boyd’s Law Firm and met with Kelly. I am so thankful for her. She helped me through t…

    View testimonials
  • "I cannot say enough about the job Kelly Boyd did for me. My situation was a terrible mess, I had hired anothe…

    View testimonials
  • "Ryan, you’ve been a wonderful attorney, much more than I expected. Your attention to details, knowledge, and…

    View testimonials

Positive Results for Our Clients

Our personalized approach, dedicated focus areas, and years of combined legal experience produce successful, positive results for our clients.

View case results